<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									Editing Questions - Action Video Lab Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/</link>
            <description>Action Video Lab Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2026 03:34:06 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>4:3 action-camera footage for 16:9 and 9:16: one crop or two separate edits?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/43-action-camera-footage-for-169-and-916-one-crop-or-two-separate-edits/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 06:15:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I increasingly shoot action footage in a taller 4:3 mode because it gives me more vertical room. The final deliverables are usually one 16:9 YouTube video and several 9:16 shorts.

Is it bet...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I increasingly shoot action footage in a taller 4:3 mode because it gives me more vertical room. The final deliverables are usually one 16:9 YouTube video and several 9:16 shorts.

Is it better to make the 16:9 edit first and crop that timeline for vertical, or treat both outputs as separate reframing jobs from the original 4:3 source?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>TrailCam</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/43-action-camera-footage-for-169-and-916-one-crop-or-two-separate-edits/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Should I convert HEVC to H.264 before editing, or use proxies instead?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/should-i-convert-hevc-to-h-264-before-editing-or-use-proxies-instead/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 14 Aug 2026 15:20:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A lot of tutorials say “convert H.265 to H.264 if your editor is slow.” That fixes playback, but it feels wasteful when I have hours of 4K footage.

What is the better workflow: transcode al...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[A lot of tutorials say “convert H.265 to H.264 if your editor is slow.” That fixes playback, but it feels wasteful when I have hours of 4K footage.

What is the better workflow: transcode all HEVC clips to H.264 first, or keep the HEVC originals and create proxies? I am especially interested in avoiding unnecessary quality loss.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>TrailCam</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/should-i-convert-hevc-to-h-264-before-editing-or-use-proxies-instead/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>4K MP4: proxies or full transcode before editing?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/4k-mp4-proxies-or-full-transcode-before-editing/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 14 Aug 2026 08:38:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[For a large batch of 4K MP4 files, should I generate proxies or transcode everything to an editing codec first? I want a smoother timeline but do not want to create a second huge full-resolu...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[For a large batch of 4K MP4 files, should I generate proxies or transcode everything to an editing codec first? I want a smoother timeline but do not want to create a second huge full-resolution copy of the entire shoot.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>Alex R.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/4k-mp4-proxies-or-full-transcode-before-editing/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>How do you organize 100+ action-camera clips before editing?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/how-do-you-organize-100-action-camera-clips-before-editing/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 14 Aug 2026 08:10:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[After a multi-day trip I can easily have more than a hundred action-camera clips, phone videos, GPS tracks and a few audio files. My current method is basically “copy everything into one fol...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[After a multi-day trip I can easily have more than a hundred action-camera clips, phone videos, GPS tracks and a few audio files. My current method is basically “copy everything into one folder and start watching,” which gets ugly fast.

What folder structure actually survives a real edit, especially when the camera creates chaptered files and different devices reuse the same filenames?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>RoadTrip</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/how-do-you-organize-100-action-camera-clips-before-editing/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>How to Ask an Editing Question and Get a Useful Answer</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/how-to-ask-an-editing-question-and-get-a-useful-answer/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 11 Aug 2026 15:12:51 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A good technical question can save hours of back-and-forth. You do not need to be an expert, but a few details make it much easier for other members to reproduce the problem and give a usefu...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>A good technical question can save hours of back-and-forth. You do not need to be an expert, but a few details make it much easier for other members to reproduce the problem and give a useful answer.</p>

<h3>Include the source</h3>
<ul>
<li>Camera make and model</li>
<li>Resolution and frame rate</li>
<li>HDR, HLG, Log or standard profile</li>
<li>Whether telemetry/GPS is embedded or external</li>
<li>Whether the file was converted, remuxed or downloaded from another service</li>
</ul>

<h3>Include the editing environment</h3>
<ul>
<li>Editor name and version</li>
<li>Windows/macOS and basic hardware if performance is involved</li>
<li>GPU model when decoding, rendering or Vulkan/CUDA/OpenCL behavior is relevant</li>
<li>Any plugin or external telemetry utility used in the workflow</li>
</ul>

<h3>Describe what you expected and what actually happened</h3>
<p>“GPS is broken” is difficult to diagnose. “The speed overlay is correct at the beginning but about four seconds late after ten minutes” immediately suggests a different class of problem than a constant four-second offset.</p>

<p>For color questions, describe whether the source looks wrong in the editor, only after export, or only after uploading to a platform. For performance questions, say whether the slowdown is decoding, scrubbing, effect preview, proxy generation or final rendering.</p>

<h3>Preserve the original media</h3>
<p>If metadata, HDR flags or unusual codecs are involved, keep the untouched source. A converted sample may remove the very information needed to diagnose the issue.</p>

<h3>Use screenshots carefully</h3>
<p>A screenshot of an error message is useful. A screenshot of a washed-out image is less useful without source/profile/export information. If you can legally share a short sample file, say so; do not upload private location data without checking what metadata it contains.</p>

<h3>One problem per topic</h3>
<p>If possible, keep one main technical issue per thread. A topic that simultaneously asks about GPS drift, HDR conversion, slow proxies and YouTube bitrate becomes difficult to answer and difficult for future readers to find.</p>

<p><strong>Suggested title format:</strong> Camera + problem + editor. Example: “GoPro HERO13 GPS overlay drifts after trimming in ”.</p>

<p>Action Video Lab is intended to be a practical technical community. Clear problem reports help both the person asking and everyone who finds the topic later through search.</p>]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>AVL Editor</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/how-to-ask-an-editing-question-and-get-a-useful-answer/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>From 5.3K source to YouTube: export 1080p or 4K?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/from-5-3k-source-to-youtube-export-1080p-or-4k/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 11 Aug 2026 10:05:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[If the camera source is 5.3K but the final destination is YouTube, is there a practical reason to export 4K instead of 1080p when most viewers will watch on phones or normal monitors?

I und...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[If the camera source is 5.3K but the final destination is YouTube, is there a practical reason to export 4K instead of 1080p when most viewers will watch on phones or normal monitors?

I understand that the extra source resolution is useful for cropping and stabilization. I am asking about the final master: quality versus render time, upload time and file size.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>Creator Desk</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/from-5-3k-source-to-youtube-export-1080p-or-4k/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Free Windows editor for action-camera footage: VSDC, Resolve or Shotcut?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/free-windows-editor-for-action-camera-footage-vsdc-resolve-or-shotcut/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 08 Aug 2026 11:00:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A friend asked me for a free Windows editor for action-camera footage, and I realized “free editor” is too broad a question. The files are mostly high-resolution HEVC, sometimes GPS overlays...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[A friend asked me for a free Windows editor for action-camera footage, and I realized “free editor” is too broad a question. The files are mostly high-resolution HEVC, sometimes GPS overlays, and the laptop is mid-range rather than a workstation.

The obvious names seem to be VSDC, DaVinci Resolve and Shotcut. How would you compare them for this specific use instead of just comparing feature lists?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>TrailCam</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/free-windows-editor-for-action-camera-footage-vsdc-resolve-or-shotcut/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Which editor is easiest for a GoPro + GPS + HDR travel workflow?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/which-editor-is-easiest-for-a-gopro-gps-hdr-travel-workflow/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 05 Aug 2026 23:21:22 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I am not looking for the editor with the most features overall. I want the shortest reliable workflow for action-camera footage: trim, stabilize if needed, use GPS overlays on selected shots...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I am not looking for the editor with the most features overall. I want the shortest reliable workflow for action-camera footage: trim, stabilize if needed, use GPS overlays on selected shots, handle HDR correctly, add titles/music, export.

Which editors should be on the shortlist?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>Edit Workflow</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/which-editor-is-easiest-for-a-gopro-gps-hdr-travel-workflow/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Mixed 24/30/60 fps MP4 project has judder after export — where should I start?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/mixed-24-30-60-fps-mp4-project-has-judder-after-export-where-should-i-start/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 05 Aug 2026 17:04:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I mixed 24, 30 and 60 fps MP4 clips on one timeline. Preview seems mostly okay, but some pans judder in the final. How should I choose the project frame rate?]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I mixed 24, 30 and 60 fps MP4 clips on one timeline. Preview seems mostly okay, but some pans judder in the final. How should I choose the project frame rate?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>RenderLab</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/mixed-24-30-60-fps-mp4-project-has-judder-after-export-where-should-i-start/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>OBS MP4 recording is in sync in a player but drifts after editing</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/obs-mp4-recording-is-in-sync-in-a-player-but-drifts-after-editing/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 05 Aug 2026 14:17:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A long OBS tutorial plays in sync outside the editor, but after I start cutting it the narration slowly shifts. What capture details should I inspect before blaming the NLE?]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[A long OBS tutorial plays in sync outside the editor, but after I start cutting it the narration slowly shifts. What capture details should I inspect before blaming the NLE?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/">Editing Questions</category>                        <dc:creator>LaptopEdit</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/editing-questions/obs-mp4-recording-is-in-sync-in-a-player-but-drifts-after-editing/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		