<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									GPS &amp; Camera Metadata - Action Video Lab Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/</link>
            <description>Action Video Lab Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2026 02:44:00 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>DJI Action GPS Remote data: how do you keep sports overlays synced after editing?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/dji-action-gps-remote-data-how-do-you-keep-sports-overlays-synced-after-editing/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 01:05:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[DJI&#039;s GPS Bluetooth remote can record GPS information for Action footage, and Mimo can add sports data. My question is what happens once the edit becomes more complicated.

If I cut the orig...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[DJI's GPS Bluetooth remote can record GPS information for Action footage, and Mimo can add sports data. My question is what happens once the edit becomes more complicated.

If I cut the original ride into many clips, change speed on a few sections and build the final project in a desktop editor, what is the safest way to keep the telemetry relationship understandable?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>GPS Lab</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/dji-action-gps-remote-data-how-do-you-keep-sports-overlays-synced-after-editing/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>GPS &amp; Telemetry FAQ: GPMF, GPX, FIT, Sync and Overlays</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/gps-telemetry-faq-gpmf-gpx-fit-sync-and-overlays/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 11 Aug 2026 15:12:48 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Telemetry questions often become confusing because “GPS data” can mean several different things. A camera may contain embedded metadata, a phone may record a GPX track, and a sports device m...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Telemetry questions often become confusing because “GPS data” can mean several different things. A camera may contain embedded metadata, a phone may record a GPX track, and a sports device may store a richer FIT activity — all from the same trip. This FAQ provides a practical way to think about those sources.</p>

<h3>What is embedded camera telemetry?</h3>
<p>Some action cameras store sensor information alongside the video. GoPro, for example, uses GPMF metadata. The advantage is timing: video and sensor data originate from the same recording session, so a compatible application can often avoid a separate manual sync step.</p>

<h3>What is GPX?</h3>
<p>GPX is a common exchange format for GPS tracks. It is useful because many phones, navigation devices and sports applications can export it. The tradeoff is that GPX usually represents an external timeline that must be aligned with the video if the camera did not record it directly.</p>

<h3>What is FIT?</h3>
<p>FIT is widely used by sports devices and can contain activity data beyond simple latitude and longitude. Depending on the recording device, it may include cadence, heart rate, power and other measurements. Whether an editor can use those values directly is a separate question from whether the file contains them.</p>

<h3>Which source should I keep?</h3>
<p>Do not reduce everything to a single “master” too early. If you have original camera metadata plus a sports-device activity, archive both. Storage is cheap compared with discovering later that the one export you kept omitted the field you now want.</p>

<h3>How do I synchronize an external track?</h3>
<p>Choose a distinctive event that appears in both timelines. Good examples include a stop followed by acceleration, a sharp turn, a jump or another visually obvious action. A single matching point establishes an offset; two or more points help reveal whether you also have drift.</p>

<h3>Why does telemetry look correct at first and wrong later?</h3>
<p>That can indicate true drift rather than a fixed offset. Check whether the video was converted to a different frame-rate interpretation, whether timestamps were altered, or whether the telemetry is being sampled against edited timeline time rather than source time.</p>

<h3>What happens after trimming or speed changes?</h3>
<p>Simple trimming should preserve the relationship if both media and telemetry are referenced correctly. Speed ramps, freeze frames and reverse playback require more care because source time no longer advances at the same rate as timeline time. A strong telemetry workflow should define what happens in those cases instead of merely displaying a gauge on an untouched clip.</p>

<h3>Should missing GPS points be interpolated?</h3>
<p>Small gaps may be smoothed for presentation, but a long recording interruption should not automatically become a straight route line that implies travel along an unrecorded path. Good visualizations distinguish filtering from invented data.</p>

<h3>What should a useful compatibility chart include?</h3>
<ul>
<li>Camera and recording setup</li>
<li>Telemetry source: embedded, GPX, FIT or other</li>
<li>Editor/tool version</li>
<li>Direct import or extraction required</li>
<li>Automatic or manual synchronization</li>
<li>Behavior after trim, split and speed changes</li>
<li>Available gauges and units</li>
<li>Metadata preservation after export or conversion</li>
</ul>

<p>This is the model Action Video Lab will use for telemetry testing. “Supported” is not a useful answer unless the entire workflow is described.</p>]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>AVL Editor</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/gps-telemetry-faq-gpmf-gpx-fit-sync-and-overlays/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Does trimming or transcoding strip GoPro GPS and gyro metadata?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/does-trimming-or-transcoding-strip-gopro-gps-and-gyro-metadata/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 05 Aug 2026 11:05:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I want to clean up a folder before editing, and I am tempted to trim long GoPro files into shorter clips with a converter. The video and audio survive, but I am worried about embedded GPS an...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I want to clean up a folder before editing, and I am tempted to trim long GoPro files into shorter clips with a converter. The video and audio survive, but I am worried about embedded GPS and gyro data.

Is there a reliable rule for what survives trimming or transcoding? I do not want to discover after deleting the originals that the speed and motion metadata is gone.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>Telemetry Notes</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/does-trimming-or-transcoding-strip-gopro-gps-and-gyro-metadata/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>No GPS in the camera file: what is the cleanest way to add speed and route overlays?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/no-gps-in-the-camera-file-what-is-the-cleanest-way-to-add-speed-and-route-overlays/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 05 Aug 2026 08:20:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I came back from a weekend ride with good action-camera footage but no useful GPS inside the video files. I do have the route from my phone and a FIT file from my watch.

What is the cleanes...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I came back from a weekend ride with good action-camera footage but no useful GPS inside the video files. I do have the route from my phone and a FIT file from my watch.

What is the cleanest workflow if I want a speed gauge and route map in the final edit? I can export GPX from the phone, but I am not sure whether I should convert everything to one format first or keep the original FIT as well. My main concern is synchronization: the camera was started a few minutes after the watch, and I stopped and restarted recording several times.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>TrailCam</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/no-gps-in-the-camera-file-what-is-the-cleanest-way-to-add-speed-and-route-overlays/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>How can I tell whether GPS metadata survived a conversion?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/how-can-i-tell-whether-gps-metadata-survived-a-conversion/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sun, 02 Aug 2026 14:07:34 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I converted a camera file to make it easier to edit. The picture and audio are fine, but I am not sure whether the GPS/IMU metadata is still there.

What is the quickest sanity check before ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I converted a camera file to make it easier to edit. The picture and audio are fine, but I am not sure whether the GPS/IMU metadata is still there.

What is the quickest sanity check before I delete the original?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>Telemetry Notes</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/how-can-i-tell-whether-gps-metadata-survived-a-conversion/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>GPMF, GPX and FIT: which one should I keep as the master telemetry source?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/gpmf-gpx-and-fit-which-one-should-i-keep-as-the-master-telemetry-source/</link>
                        <pubDate>Thu, 30 Jul 2026 03:06:58 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A single trip can leave me with embedded camera metadata, a GPX export and a FIT activity from a sports device.

If I want to archive only one &#039;best&#039; telemetry source for future edits, which...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[A single trip can leave me with embedded camera metadata, a GPX export and a FIT activity from a sports device.

If I want to archive only one 'best' telemetry source for future edits, which is safest?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>GPS Lab</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/gpmf-gpx-and-fit-which-one-should-i-keep-as-the-master-telemetry-source/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>How do you join chaptered GoPro clips without losing GPS telemetry?</title>
                        <link>https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/how-do-you-join-chaptered-gopro-clips-without-losing-gps-telemetry/</link>
                        <pubDate>Thu, 25 Jun 2026 08:41:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[A long GoPro recording is split into several MP4 chapters. I can join the video easily, but I also want the GPS data because this is motorcycle footage and I want speed, route and altitude o...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[A long GoPro recording is split into several MP4 chapters. I can join the video easily, but I also want the GPS data because this is motorcycle footage and I want speed, route and altitude overlays later.

What is the safest order: join the files first and then extract telemetry, or extract telemetry from each original chapter before doing the edit? I do not want a “clean” combined MP4 that has silently lost the metadata.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/">GPS &amp; Camera Metadata</category>                        <dc:creator>Telemetry Notes</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://actionvideolab.com/community/gps-camera-metadata/how-do-you-join-chaptered-gopro-clips-without-losing-gps-telemetry/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		